Monday, October 12, 2009

Prayer

I taught my first Relief Society lesson yesterday and was feeling highly inadequate and extremely nervous. I had plenty of time to prepare for the lesson so there were countless prayers said which involved a lot of pleading on my part for Heavenly Father to bless me with the ability to teach the sisters the message he had in store. Knowing myself, and how I'm not very good with off-the-cuff discussions... I had prepared the lesson on lined paper, spelling out exactly what I was going to say. I was completely shocked when the spirit prompted me throughout the lesson... so much so that I hardly had to reference my "script". I even pulled out personal experiences that hadn't occurred to me while preparing the lesson! Also, a good hint for anyone else who might have to experience this... start out by distributing chocolate... it's a good distraction! I'm so grateful for the power of prayer and the blessing of His spirit to guide and direct me. While planning the lesson, one of my favorite quotes from President Monson kept popping into my mind... just thought I'd share... "Do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. Then the performance of your tasks will be no miracle, but you will be the miracle."

2 comments:

Valeri said...

That's beautiful, Stef. I SO wish I could have been there. I'm sure it was an incredible lesson. Those inspired and unplanned moments when you just start speaking and don't know where it's coming from can be the much more powerful than the most prepared lesson out there!

I miss you. Neil enjoyed talking to Dan yesterday. I think we're going to try and get together this weekend... maybe? Love you!

The Goulds said...

I love that quote. I listen to a song with that quote in it almost every day. It gives me such strength for the tasks that are sometimes before me.
Your little boy is beautiful!!