Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday Thoughts

Although it stinks that Dan has to work every Saturday, it has become a day I look forward to. A day of reflection, reading, and catching up on tasks that I'm not able to complete during the week. Last Saturday, for lack of a better word, rocked! It was 70 degrees and the sun was shining. I started the day by attending my usual Saturday morning yoga class and had the best practice ever. I love how yoga encourages you to push your body while focusing on your mind! I returned home and ate a nice breakfast outside while reading the Ensign insert on President Hinkley (very touching by the way), and watching Diesel roll around in the dead grass. Then Diesel and I drove up to Fox Run park for a hike. There is this bench along the path with a gorgeous view of Pikes Peak through the trees. I've included a picture, good thing I take my camera everywhere!

I love to be outside, I love the fresh air, smell of pine trees, the sun on my skin, and enjoying the earth we've been blessed with. As we hiked I was thinking of all the things I'm grateful for: being sealed to Dan for eternity, our loving families, Diesel, getting money back from our taxes this year, belonging to a great ward, our health, friends, the ability to work hard, having legs to walk with, the organization of the church, my calling, difficult experiences that teach me to learn and grow, sisters, clean water, never knowing what hunger truly feels like, my ancestors who fought and sacrificed so that I can enjoy the freedoms of this country, all servicemen and women who do the same to maintain our freedoms and help others gain freedom, temples, spring, books, cameras, music, the internet that allows me to keep distant family and friends updated, and many more. I think Heavenly Father knew I needed a day to contemplate and ponder on these things. Lately it's been hard to focus on all that I've been blessed with because it hasn't been easy moving away from family and friends to settle in a new place all on our own, but I'm so glad we are here. It's beautiful here and I can't wait for spring to bring tulips and green grass again.

I know this post is long, and pretty random, but one last thought... It was a visit to Pikes Peak in 1893 that inspired Katharine Lee Bates to write a poem that later became the song we now know as "America the Beautiful". I hope this picture does it justice!

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!

America! America!

God shed His grace on thee,

And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea! lyrics by Katherine Lee Bates; music composed by Samuel A. Ward

2 comments:

The Lembcke's said...

Touching post, Stef! It's unfortunate how life can get so crazy that we loose site of so many things that we ARE blessed with...it's times like your 'Saturday hike' that we think about all of it and it makes up for it...as long as we keep having those "Saturdays" to reflect! =)

Miss you girl!!

Jessica said...

That was a great post---thanks for reminding me of all the things I too am thankful for but tend to forget about in the hustle and bustle of life.